Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Here I Am!

Hello and welcome to my blog.  I will be using this mainly as a business blog, though will also be blogging about personal gardening, nonprofit work, and other sustainability issues as I feel might interest you.  Before any of that, though, let me tell you a little about my business (you can see a write-up about me and my experience in my profile description).  Early this year I decided it was time to refocus on my passions after a brief hiatus managing the garden center at the Country Store and Farm.  On March 1 I finalized my plans and decided to be:

Sue Day, OLCP (Organic Land Care Provider accredited by Oregon Tilth)
Earth Stewardship and Design

Mission:  Through design, education, and action, Earth Stewardship and Design helps individuals, families, and organizations achieve the landscape they desire with minimal impact on surrounding ecosystems.

What I do:
Consultation – walk your property with you, teaching about what you have, how to take care of it, and what you can do with it.  Often resulting in a simple list of priorities, instructions, and next steps.
Education – Come to your property and educate you on how to do what you would like to accomplish in a sustainable way.  I will educate people on anything in my areas of expertise including: design, soil improvement, native habitat restoration, permaculture, plant identification and care, and pruning.
Plan and Design – create a sustainable and low-maintenance design for your property with plant and material lists and a work plan that meets your desired budget and time-frame.
Small projects – design and install small gardens, rain gardens and swales, water catchment, and compost systems.
Maintenance – maintain garden beds and natural areas, including invasive control, weeding, planting as needed, and small pruning.
Oversight – Oversee workers and projects on your property.

Specialties:
Habitat Restoration – build soil and restore native habitat on disturbed sites to recreate a healthy and vibrant ecosystem.
Permaculture – use tenets of permaculture including huglekultur for habitat restoration, ornamental, and/or edible landscapes and food forests.
Xeriscape – Design with a drought tolerant plant pallet and prepare soil for minimal water use during our dry season.
Edibles – Design a beautiful landscape that can feed you and your family healthy and organic food throughout the year.
Natives – Design a beautiful landscape that can nurture the local wildlife.
Low maintenance – Design a landscape that does not require much input (materials, water, pest and weed control, or time) or create much waste
Closed systems – Use mostly materials reused from your own property to create the landscape you desire.



No comments:

Post a Comment